Home > Software > BIGDATA > HADOOP
Interview Questions   Tutorials   Discussions   Programs   Videos   Discussion   

HADOOP - how to compress mapper output but not the reducer output?

views
asked experts May 14, 2015 03:23 AM  

how to compress mapper output but not the reducer output?

1 Answer

answered By experts   0  
In Mapreduce we need to use below

conf.set("mapreduce.map.output.compress", true)
conf.set("mapreduce.output.fileoutputformat.compress", false)

For more details, refer: http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-mapreduce-client/hadoop-mapreduce-client-core/mapred-default.xml

mapred.compress.map.output: Is the compression of data between the mapper and the reducer. If you use snappy codec this will most likely increase read write speed and reduce network overhead. Don't worry about spitting here. These files are not stored in hdfs. They are temp files that exist only for the map reduce job.

mapred.map.output.compression.codec: I would use snappy

mapred.output.compress: This boolean flag will define is the whole map/reduce job will output compressed data. I would always set this to true also. Faster read/write speeds and less disk spaced used.

mapred.output.compression.type: I use block. This will make the compression slittable even for all compression formats (gzip, snappy, and bzip2) just make sure your using a splitable file format like sequence, RCFile, or Avro.

mapred.output.compression.codec: this is the compression codec for the map/reduce job. I mostly use one of the three: Snappy (Fastest r/w 2x-3x compression), gzip (normal r fast w 5x-8x compression), bzip2 (slow r/w 8x-12x compression)

Also remember when compression mapred output, that because of splitting compression will differ base on your sorting order. The close like data is together the better the compression.

ref link:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5571156/hadoop-how-to-compress-mapper-output-but-not-the-reducer-output/11336820#11336820

flag   
   add comment

Your answer

Join with account you already have

FF

Preview

Ready to start your tutorial with us? That's great! Send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible!

Alert