1.Informatica 7.0 is a client server architecture where 8.0 is service oriented architecture
2.Through 7.0 migration is critical where as with 8.0 migration is possible and easy
3.grid and pushdown optimization is not there in 7.0 but in 8.0 these are available
4.with 7.0 we cant change the lookup cache size but with 8.0 we can change the lookup cache size
5.Encryption and description is not in 7.0 possible with 8,0
6.node and domain concepts are availabe in 8.x,these concepts are not available in 7.x
7.Informatica 7.1 delemeter has only coloum level. but in8.0 delemeter has row level and coloum level.
8. Informatica 7.0 is server,8.0 is service. In 7.0 it contain 5 clients but in 8.0 contains 4 clients(admin_console(spl))
9. in email task we can have pdf facility in Informatica 8.0
The architecture of Power Center 8 has changed a lot;
1. PC8 is service-oriented for modularity, scalability and flexibility.
2. The Repository Service and Integration Service (as replacement for Rep Server and Informatica Server) can be run on different
computers in a network (so called nodes), even redundantly.
3. Management is centralized, that means services can be started and stopped on nodes via a central web interface.
4. Client Tools access the repository via that centralized machine, resources are distributed dynamically.
5. Running all services on one machine is still possible, of course.
6. It has a support for unstructured data which includes spreadsheets, email, Microsoft Word files, presentations and .PDF documents. It provides high availability, seamless fail over, eliminating single points of failure.
7. It has added performance improvements (To bump up systems performance, Informatica has added \"push down optimization\" which moves data transformation processing to the native relational database I/O engine whenever its is most appropriate.)
8. Informatica has now added more tightly integrated data profiling, cleansing, and matching capabilities.
9. Informatica has added a new web based administrative console.
10.Ability to write a Custom Transformation in C++ or Java.
11.Midstream SQL transformation has been added in 8.1.1, not in 8.1.
12.Dynamic configuration of caches and partitioning
13.Java transformation is introduced.
14.User defined functions
15.PowerCenter 8 release has \"Append to Target file\" feature.
The new version Informatica 8.1 has got some additional feature\'s like:
1) Mapping Generation Option
2) Push Down Optimisation
3) Data Cleanse and Match
4) Data Federation (EII)
5) Enterprise Grid
6) High Availability
7) Unstructured Data
And there are some updations in
1) Data Profiling
3) Real-Time Loading
1. Target from Transformation: In Informatica 8X we can create target from Transformation by dragging transformation in Target designer
2. Pushdown optimization: Uses increased performance by pushing Transformation logic to the database by analyzing the transformations and Issuing SQL statements to sources and targets. Only processes any Transformation logic that it cannot push to the database.
3. New function in expression editor: New function have been introduced in Informatica 8X like reg_extract and reg_match
4. Repository query available in both versioned and non versioned Repositories previously it was available only for versioned repository.
5. UDF (User defined function) similar to macro in excel
6. FTP: We can have partitioned FTP targets and Indirect FTP File source (with file list).
7. Propagating Port Descriptions: In Informatica 8 we can edit a port description and propagate the description to other transformations in the mapping.
8. Environment SQL Enhancements: Environment SQL can still be used to Execute an SQL statement at start of connection to the database. We can Use SQL commands that depend upon a transaction being opened during The entire read or write process. For example, the following SQL command Modifies how the session handles characters: Alter session set
9. Concurrently write to multiple files in a session with partitioned targets.
10. Flat File Enhancements:
Reduced conversion of data types
Delimited file performance has improved
Flat file now can have integer and double data types
Data can be appended to existing flat files
Informatica power center 8 is having the following features which makes it more powerful, easy to use and manage when compared to previous versions.
Supports Service oriented architecture
Access to structured, unstructured and semi structured data
Support for grid computing
Metadata exchange enhancements
Team based Development
Global Web-based Admin console
23 New functions
User defined functions
Custom transformation enhancements
Flat file enhancements
New Data Federation option