A Joiner is used to join data from different sources and a lookup is used to get a related values from another table or check for updates etc in the target table. for lookup to work the table may not exist in the mapping but for a joiner to work, the table has to exist in the mapping.pal.
Lookup transformation is a Passive transformation where as Joiner is Active Transformation.Lookup you can have both connected as well as unconected where as Joiner is always connected.Joiner is used to join two homogenious or hetrogenious sources residing at different location where as lookup is used to look-up the data.Lookup is by default left outer join where as joiner You can have Normal, Master Outer, Detail Outer, Full Outer.
1) Joiner is active transformation & lookup is passive transformation.
2) Joiner operates on sources where as lookup operates source as well as target.
3)Joiner doesnt support nonequi joins whereas lookup supports non-equi join. I.e. joiner transformation supports only equality operator in condition of join where as lookup transformation can support<=,>=,=,!= in the lookup condition.
4) Lookup uses dynamic and static cache where as a joiner doesn't.
5) Joiner transformation does not match for null values whereas lookup transformation matches for null values.
6) Joiner will do left outer,right outer,normal,full outer types of joins whereas lookup will do only left outer join.
Ready to start your tutorial with us? That's great! Send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible!